Monday, June 3, 2013

Things That Hurt A Mute's Ego

Hey Everyone,

I want to shed some light on the hardest part of this journey: my severely bruised ego. For those of you who know me, my ego can get pretty big, and I agree that it needs to be put in check. But this process is cruel.

1) Every time the phone rings, I want to cry. 

I don't have to explain why this is depressing. You should know.

2) I can't breathe hard, so I can't work out.

A few weeks ago, I was in Vallejo, trying out for the Collegiate All American Rugby Team. Now, I can't walk for more than 15 minutes on a treadmill at 2.0 without my throat being aggravated. This should change in a few weeks, but in the meantime, I'm going crazy.

3) Typing/handwriting do not accommodate the speed of conversation.

I've given up on communicating complex ideas. it is too complicated, and typing or writing pronouns takes too long. Whatever I write will not be interpreted correctly, so I may as well not write it.


Luckily, today is my last full day of being a mute, and starting tomorrow, I get to speak for roughly 5 minutes per hour. This will be more difficult than this week, seeing as going cold turkey is easier than moderation. Progress is progress, though, and I have to try to stay positive.

Thanks for the support, and anything you got that can help unbruise my very bruised ego would be awesome (desserts delivered to my house always work).

Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment