Sunday, August 11, 2013

10 Weeks Post-Op: Hear Me Sing!

Hey Everyone,

It has been 10 weeks since I had surgery to remove the cysts on my vocal cords (check out the last post if you want pics/videos of the medical stuff). A lot has happened since I last checked in. I was cleared to sing a few weeks ago, and just yesterday, I sang a full 5 minute song with a guitar for the first time in over a year. It was a terrifying experience, but I thought it sounded pretty good. For the record, it was a song that I posted on this blog already, called "The Plan". Then, today, I recorded myself singing a different one of my songs, "My Goodbye Song." There's more info on both of the songs below.

In this post, I've put those two recordings, plus older recordings of myself singing the same songs with just me and a guitar. My voice has changed in a lot of ways over the last few, and honestly, my favorite version of it is the voice I have right now.

As you listen, notice how the new voice is higher and less raspy, and see if you can hear how much less strained my voice sounds now vs. before. It sounds like I'm pushing way less.

My Goodbye Song







The Plan

I wasn't going to post this one because my voice cracks really badly during the bridge (I chose too high of a key), but I figured letting you in on my first full song would balance out the videos of vibrating vaginas I posted last time.



The Plan was the first song I wrote after my diagnosis. At the time, I thought my voice sounded incredible, and I was proud of the high notes I hit. It felt right to make it the first song I sang after surgery. It took me a few weeks of singing a little bit to build up the courage to sing a whole song through. No, I'm not kidding.

I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed singing these songs in the last few days. I'm so happy to be a singer again!

Becca

1 comment: